Saturday, August 9, 2014

C.J. Foxx Movie House Reviews #2: TMNT

Oh geez, where do I start.  With the negative rap sheet this film already owns, it will be hard to argue against the aforementioned critiques.  Especially because most everything you hear about this movie is true.  There is no real original content, plot holes galore, annoying moments involving forced references, and countless let downs.

Now that I have joined the masses, the masses with a valid point, I would like to say “It wasn’t that bad” and “It was fun, and I think it’s perfect for children.”  This was officially, and absolutely nothing but a retelling of the story.  Something that has been addressed at length throughout superhero movies and even throughout history:  all original stories have been written, we just recreate them all, putting new twists or “Shyamalan’s” in them.  This essentially took the cake.  Do you remember when you were younger (before the booze) watching a movie?  A movie that you looked forward to, maybe you watched the television show and became a fan.  (Bear with me) after watching and liking the cinematic version enough to say “it gave the show justice” and “the special effects were decent, I enjoyed the action and jokes.  Not the best film but I can’t wait to talk about it amongst my peeps.”  Then the next day at school the kids are taking it to town, tearing it apart, making a good argument.  Whether or not you grow some and stick up for it or not, is not the point.  Feeling you had a connection with this flick, and the general populace disagrees with your decision, that’s where I see many younger folk may stand on this encounter (Or, at least that’s what I may have assessed as a younger me).  Warning: If you flash forward ten years, in retrospect you might realize that those people were right and or feeling possibly cheated.

Before I return to thrashing this TMNT, I will bring to light some of the good points.  I like to form these type of reviews in what I call… a “crap sandwich” model.  The thing about a “crap sandwich” it has to consist of something different in the middle… something positive, or its just three layers of crap (Basically, I like silver linings.  In some instance they are incredibly hard to find.  This time, it wasn’t that difficult).  

The part I thoroughly enjoyed was the concept: flashbacks of the turtles through an actual upbringing, or childhood.  The idea of a half-rat half-human raising four son-turtles in the sewer does raise many humorous, interesting possibilities.  Other versions of the narrative, didn’t make as much of a focus on it, or don’t show as many stages of their life.   Watching a young Michelangelo jovially dancing to some old-school Gwen Stefani (luckily, there’s no new-school Gwen Stefani.  But seriously, that song is a benchmark for that time period [and is featured in the leaked Deadpool test footage].  I understand it because, Holla Back Girl wasn’t the worst song and it… was… everywhere.  At least everyone’s forgotten about that mind-numbing Crazy Town, Butterfly song.  Anyway…) it helped dive into the backgrounds of the individual personalities. 
In this new installment of the turtles they have never been so identifiably different from each other, even in their physical form.  For the most part, before this one, if the characters took off their masks no one would be able to tell the difference between the four.  A little more like the comics, the multiple team members and their recognizable range in personality was a major emphasis.  Reading an article some time ago (I want to give props, but can’t remember where or who.  I think it was on CBR) they discussed the garb each character sported and how it was a little excessive.  It was even more than expected, combined with the on-screen personalities (Donatello’s cliché dork stuff was the best if I had to choose)

The new Shredder is what I would expect the Shredder would look like in a 2014 TMNT movie.  As result of the new hero’s image and modern-ass-kicking ability, the next logical progression is “pumping up” the villain.  Supplying him with a new arsenal, I actually didn’t mind the small liberties stretching all the way to the Shredder’s weird magnetic blades. 

Through the grapevine, I heard grumbles about the April O’Neal’s (or Megan Fox) part, but this as well was a non-issue.  In my oh-so-humble opinion, no problem with this movie ever involved her.  There is one exception, not directly related to her.  When Fox meets the turtles for the first time, there is all this unnecessary jumping and shouting, kind of an awkward meeting.  Then April faints, which reminds me of the 90’s film (who did a better first encounter scene). This faction was done poorly and was unbelievable to a certain level.  I don’t believe it was Fox’s delivery but it had a strange taste.

With a more mature subject matter growing in kids movies, I had hopes they were going to make a more gruesome, gritty version, possibly like the comics. 

Side note: I didn’t know if it was intentional, but in the comics, Raphael (in a Days of future Past feel) has to use time travel to avoid the slaying of his three brothers.  In this timeline Raph loses an eye and wears an eye-patch.  In the film, during one of the flashbacks, one of them as an adolescent, is wearing one (I think it was Raphael, no matter what it reminded me of the comic). 

Instead, it was one of the most family friendly showings I’ve seen in a while.  Unlike the new comic movie trend, the new Ninja Turtle did not push that envelope.  Possibly hindering it, the fighting scenes and “ninja” aspect (along with some other dynamic aspects) left a little to be desired. 

This leads me to the biggest conflict I felt existed within, the Splinter situation.  Although this is not the direct issue, I am under the impression that the original back-story (the one obviously recreated in the cartoon) Splinter is a man turned rat.  In all of the movies he is a mutated rat (he transforms into a really cartoonish rat in the newest one).  I understand, it is much easier to tell that version of the story, but the idea that the man-rat just found an instructional karate book, and taught all of his students… that was a little difficult to endure. 
Once again, my ignorance may be my downfall, was there a cinematic ban on Rocksteady and Bebop?  I was expecting looking for a reference for even a future appearance or even a nod to them which I did not identify.  Being two of my favorite all-time villains/henchmen, I have always wondered that.  If they do incorporate them in the next one, that will be a challenge, adjusting their backstories to fit. 

I repeat, this movie is ideal for children and there was just enough entertainment to get the adults through to the end.  I give it five and a half gamma rays out of a possible ten.

C.J. Foxx 
Author of Super-Hero Bowl VI
@CJFoxxAuthor on Twitter
C.J. Foxx Like us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment